Re: LID button Event ACPI malfunction

Hi Derek

Thanks for picking up this subject with me.

> Subject: Re: LID button Event ACPI malfunction
> Date: Wednesday 22 December 2004 04:50 am
> From: Derek Broughton <derek@pointerstop.ca>
> To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
>
> On Tuesday 21 December 2004 19:27, Benedek Frank wrote:
> > /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
> >
> > it says
> >
> > state: closed
> >
> > It is clearly not closed, as I am looking at the screen. :)
>
> No surprise to me.  The actual event posted by ACPI (at least on my
> Inspiron - it may well differ machine to machine) is merely a counter of
> the number of times the lid has been opened _or_ closed.  Mine is currently
> showing the correct value in  /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state, but I
> shouldn't think it's hard to confuse it.

Mine shows open when it boots. When I suspend it once by closing the lid, and
reopen it, it resumes, but it will keep showing the status as closed from
here on, until reboot.

> > I have an ACPI event that gets triggered when I REALLY close the lid, and
> > that works.
> >
> > Here is the event
> >
> > /etc/acpi/event/lidbtn
> >
> > event=button/lid
> > action=/etc/acpi/lidbtn.sh
> >
> > And here is the script
> >
> > /etc/acpi/lidbtn.sh
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > /sbin/sleep
>
> So what happens when you _open_ the lid?  While there may be different
> events for opening and closing, you're triggering sleep for _any_ lid
> event.

When I open the lid, the computer resumes. When I close it, it suspends.
Everything is just perfect except that when I shut down the computer, it
triggers a suspend twice in a row.

> It looks like it's working as designed :-)  My guess from your description
> is that you issued a shutdown, closed the lid (triggered one sleep), opened
> the lid (triggered another sleep) and then let it finish its job.

Yes, that would make sense, but it isn't what I did. I just shut down the
machine and it does it by itself. i dont close the lit by any chance. Also,
It does it repetitively, not only once. Every time I reboot, it is the same
scenario.

> Turn off acpid, cat /proc/acpi/event and watch what happens as you open and
> close the lid.  If the event really differentiates between open and closed,
> change the event/lidbtn event to catch just the _close_ event.  Otherwise,
> you'll have to rely on the contents of  /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
> and test for it.

Hi. Can you explain how to do this? by the way, when I stop ACPID and cat for
the event, it does show everything correctly. That puzzles. me.

> Then you also need something for shutdown that prevents the lid event
> triggering your sleep script if you close the lid before shutdown is
> complete.  It's probably simplest just to make sure that the very first
> thing you do during shutdown is kill acpid.
> --

Even with ACPID off, the shutdown will trigger the suspends. Any clues? For me
it looks very messed up.

Thanks

Ben