Re: Pentium-Classic Laptop/PCMCIA-Ethernet-Card

Hello,

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 02:45, Michael Jarosch wrote:
> "lsmod" doesn't show any different output, when plugging the card. When
> I install the modules manually it looks like this:
>
> pcnet_cs 10276 0 (unused)
> 8390  5952 0 [pcnet_cs]
> [...]
> no other modules for neworking and pcmcia are listed - as I mentioned
> before: I had the pcmcia-core and i82365 compiled into the kernel.
>
> "cardctl ident" prints:
> Socket 0:
>  no product info available
> Socket 1:
>  product info: "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet", "", ""
>  manfid: 0xffff, 0x1090
>  function: 6 (network)
>
> "cardctl status" prints:
> Socket 0:
>  no card
> Socket 1:
>  5V 16-bit PC Card
>  function 0: [ready]
>
> "cardctl config" prints:
> Socket 0:
>  not configured
> Socket 1:
>  Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 5.0V  Vpp2 5.0V

This means your card is definitely not a 32bit Cardbus card, but a 16bit
card. So you won't need hotplug or similar, only cardmgr from the standard
pcmcia packages.

> Looks like it's recognized correctly. Do I have to create a new device?
> If yes: how?

No, network interfaces are created from the kernel on the fly. There are no
corresponding device files in /dev.

> It has to work without modifying /etc/pcmcia/config if I install the
> modules manualy, does it?

Where do the modules reside? They should exist
under /lib/modules/[your_kernel_version]. If they can be loaded with a
simple "modprobe pcnet_cs", they are correctly installed.

You still should check if there is ANY entry in your /etc/pcmcia/config
that somehow corresponds to the output of "cardctl ident". If there is
not, cardmgr is unable to identify the correct modules and bind them to
the hardware.

By the way: is cardmgr running at all? :)

Regards,
  Frank
--
 Frank Trenkamp                     frank at trenkamp dot org
 GPG fprt: FF9E 9A3A CACB D840 6866  8485 DCB1 98FA 7162 4D9C