Re: Re: Pentium-Classic Laptop/PCMCIA-Ethernet-Card

Hi,

On Thursday 09 December 2004 16:31, Michael Jarosch wrote:
Should work with the 8390 or pcnet_cs or both modules.

Both are needed, pcnet_cs depends on 8390.
That's right! I've forgotten it, cause I haven't the laptop running while writing that email.

pcmcia-cs doesn't seem to load any modules if the card is plugged,
although the "beeps" for connection and ejection are hearable.
Even if the modules are loaded by hand, no eth0 appears in the system.

First guess: Cardbus PCMCIA card in a non-Cardbus compatible system? Your laptop appears to be an older model.

Mhh, o.k.!

Second guess: probably your card does not get correctly recognized as ethernet device, most likely due to a missing entry in /etc/pcmcia/config?

What's the output of "lsmod" and "cardctl ident", "cardctl status", "cardctl config"? This should give you hints on how to construct an entry in /etc/pcmcia/config in order to bind pcnet_cs to your card.

"lsmod" doesn't show any different output, when plugging the card. When I install the modules manually it looks like this:

pcnet_cs	10276	0	(unused)
8390		5952	0	[pcnet_cs]
[...]
no other modules for neworking and pcmcia are listed - as I mentioned before: I had the pcmcia-core and i82365 compiled into the kernel.

"cardctl ident" prints:
Socket 0:
	no product info available
Socket 1:
	product info: "PCMCIA", "Fast-Ethernet", "", ""
	manfid: 0xffff, 0x1090
function: 6 (network)
"cardctl status" prints:
Socket 0:
	no card
Socket 1:
	5V 16-bit PC Card
	function 0: [ready]

"cardctl config" prints:
Socket 0:
	not configured
Socket 1:
	Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 5.0V  Vpp2 5.0V

Looks like it's recognized correctly. Do I have to create a new device? If yes: how?

After modifying /etc/pcmcia/config you will have to restart the PCMCIA subsystem with "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart".

It has to work without modifying /etc/pcmcia/config if I install the modules manualy, does it?

Many thanks till now!

Mitsch