Re: Kernel Headers question (and Winmodems)

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:05:27PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On Monday 13 December 2004 12:13, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 09:27:58AM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > Why do you want the kernel headers on the laptop?  If you're building the
> > > modem driver from source, why not build it where you build the kernel
> > > image?
> >
> > I suppose I can.  That kernel is not running on the other machine so
> > uname -r will report the wrong location.  I guess it depends on how
> > the Makefile finds the kernel headers it's building for.
>
> It should find them from the same place your compile found them when you
> created the kernel.  IE, generally under /usr/src/linux

IIRC, some module build scripts/Makefiles look at /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

But, I suppose it's easy enough to look over those scripts and
Makefiles before building.

So I need th ltmodem kernel module, plus I also need a binary driver.
Is that correct?  Do I still need to use the fix script to modify the
binary so it doesn't complain about my kernel version?

I think I'll lobby for it to be a law that all HOWTOs include a date.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org