Re: OT: Help needed for disassembling Toshiba Satellite 5100-603

Hi Stephen,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 12:34:02PM -0400, Stephen Ryan wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 08:52, Jan T. Kim wrote:

> > Now, I have unscrewed all the screws I could find (including one under
> > the twisted pair network and modem socket, which I overlooked initially),
> > but the case doesn't come apart.

> Disclaimer: I have never disassembled a Toshiba laptop.  I have,
> however, disassembled an IBM Thinkpad and a Compaq Presario, and both of
> those had little plastic catches all along the sides.  I've tried to
> draw a picture of a side profile of the case:
> (http://sryan.stearns.org/~sryan/laptop_catch.png) Basically, you have
> to wedge a small screwdriver in the side of the case to release the
> catch before you can pull it apart.  You'll have to do each catch one at
> a time unless you have many more hands than I do :-)

Thanks for your help. Your guess was right, there are catches (a few
only, though) around the front of the case, but I had managed to open
them already. The thing is now held together by something in the
middle, and I cannot see what that might be.

I've found some descriptions of similar problems in the web, there,
it was suggested that more screws may be underneath the keyboard. I
don't know how to remove the keyboard, though. There is no visible
mechanism for removing it, so I was expecting that basically, the top
part of the case would come off, revealing the keyboard and the other
stuff sitting on the lower part of the case -- but perhaps, someone
around here knows how to remove the keyboard without (fully) opening
the case first?

I'll probe around with a little screwdriver tonight...

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk@cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |