Re: Touchpad functionality dissappeared for no apparent reason!

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:06:48PM +0100, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 20:05, Derek Broughton wrote:
[...]
> On the whole it's working well.  A few things are bugging me, like the fan only
> coming on with a reboot, and sleep/suspend functionality entirely lacking.
> (This may simply be because I haven't figured out how to get them working yet,
> beyond passing acpi=force as a kernel boot-parameter to enable acpi).

Afaik (but may be wrong) sleep is disabled in standard Debian kernels as
it's a pretty experimental feature, so if you want it you have to
experiment yourself.

> Have you got these working on your Inspiron?

(I don't have in Inspiron but you'd better try to find out if someone
has been able to put that laptop to sleep as it can be quite a pita to
find it out yourself)

> > > If you think my suspicions may be correct and I need to recreate the device
> > > file somehow, how would I do that and what would I call it?
> >
> > I don't think, but "mknod" can be used to create some of these if you have
> > to..

better use MAKEDEV for the known devices (see man MAKEDEV for details)

hth
--
mattia
:wq!