Re: X resolution on a Gateway M305

> > > If you have modified the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -file yourself,
> > > debconf refuses to alter it, so you need to read from the FAQ how
> > > to get that file back under debconf control.
> > >   http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml
> > >   http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/local/FAQ.xhtml#forceoverwriteconf
> > >

> You have checked that dpkg-reconfigure actually changes the file
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4? If you altered that file without
> dpkg-reconfigure, it will not store the new configuration to that
> file. If this happens, read the above URL for FAQ on how to get the
> file back under dpkg-reconfigure control.

Yes ... it didn't at first, but I went through the faq in your link and
made the md5sum change with allowed dpkg-reconfigure to save the new
configuration changes.

> > I reconfigured XF86Free-4 using 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'
> > (with both the VESA and i810 driver) I received the following errors
> > when trying to startx.
> >
> > (WW) VESA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:0)
> > found
> > (EE) No Devices detected.
>
> This is strange. VESA should work.
>
> You might get higher resolution if you set Depth to 8, but then you
> only get 256 colors. I'm not sure about this, I don't remember what
> was the maximum resolution VESA standard supported.

I've tried the color depth down to 8 and the result is the same ... no
higher resolution than 800x600 is available.

> > This is the Knoppix XFree86-4 generated config file for "Device,"
> > "Screen," and "Display" which does work but only gives a max 800x600
> > resolution.
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >   Identifier "Card0"
> >   VendorName "All"
> >   BoardName "All"
> > # BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
>
> There is no Driver here? What driver is the Knoppix using? I think
> this Device section will not work without a Driver line.

Ah, sorry, there is a driver there -- that was a typo.

Section "Device"
  Driver "I810"
  VendorName "All"
  Boardname "All"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

in the Xlog there is this line which seems to indicate that X is aware
that 1024x768 is possible:
(II) I810(0): Display Info: LFP (local flat panel): attached: TRUE,
present: TRUE, size: (1024,768
(II) I810(0): Size of device LFP (local flat panel) is 1024 x 768

So it seems that 1024x768 should be available? But why the display is
limited is a mystery.

Again, many thanks in advance for your help.

/S