X resolution on a Gateway M305

I have a new installation of Sarge on a Gateway M305. I was unable to
get X configured so I popped in a Knoppix disk and used that
XF86Config-4 ... and while the Knoppix X config works, the maximum
resolution possible is 800x600. The laptop is capable 1024x768 on the
laptop, and can throw 1280x1024 to an external monitor.

I'm not quite sure what to provide in either my XF86congfig-4 or in the
log which would help in providing a higher resolution, but I would sure
like more real estate on my screen ... 800x600 is an unworkablely small
space.

MTIA

/SME