AW: network installation - wlan/plip

I have very bad experiences with WLAN cards on old notebooks.

I also tried a belkin WLAN pcmcia card (another one, don't know the name exactly) and had to learn that different chipsets are used, depending on the revision of the card.
Are you shure your cards chipset is supported?
What does lspci say?

Another horrible thing was that I could not get a Cisco Aironet 350 card running on that old labtop (Compaq Armada 7???). The card was running under Knoppix an a new notebook without problems but was not recognised on my old labtop. Somewhere I read about timing errors at the pci - pcmcia bridge or its controller that may lead to such a strange behavior.

Finally I dumped all that bullshit, looked at www.prism54.org or Jean Tourrilhes WLAN page to find out which card is experienced to work well and bought a new one (which is hard because cards seem to vanished from the marketplace faster then drivers for them become available ;).

The new netgear wg511 (prism54 driver) worked with 2.4.25 in 70% of all cases depending on the presence of 3com LAN pcmcia card in the other slot.

An upgrade to 2.6.4 finally helped to get it running more stable.

So I strongly recommend not to waste too much time to get a suspect card running. Take one which is working immediately and dump the other ones.

PS: Same experience with WLAN PCI cards....

regards

Erik