Strange standstill with KDE-Shutdown

Hi everyone,

I have only noticed this behaviour on my Notebook (Acer TM 803), so I
write to the laptop list. On my Desktop (same Knoppix-Debian-Install)
there is no such error.

black and the laptop stands still. No reaction to keyboard, mouse,
external login....nothing. Only way out: cut power! The strange thing: it
doesn't happen everytime. I do not know the exact circumstances, I can see
no pattern.

I have checked the X-Server logfile, the Kernel logfile, and all sort of
logfiles found in /var/log: I cannot find any reference to the failure.

Setup: Debian installation from Knoppix 3.3 (mix of testing and some
unstable I think), followed by extensive updating and compilation of new
kernels (Note: this behaviour occurs with all tested kernels, and with all
KDE versions).

Current kernel: 2.4.24
Current X-Version: 4.3.0-0ds4
Current X-Server: Radeon (R250 Lf)
Current Display manager: KDM (vers. 3.1.3-1)
Current KDE version: 3.1.5

Now I need directions on where to look for error messages and logs that
could elucidate this strange behaviour!

Thanks a bunch, Stefan