Re: buy new laptop

On 05.02.2004 04:09 Fusco Francesco wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:10:05 +0100, Johannes Zarl wrote:

> Could you tell me what is the best laptop to buy for working linux?
> What's about the Acer TM803? It is well-supported?

I have one myself and almost everything works. The things I didn't get
to work are the multimedia-keys(there are four special buttons for
browser, mail, etc.) and the "scroll-button" near the touch-pad.

I have problems getting swsusp to work(with 2.4.23), but I think the
problem here lies with my version of swsusp and its swapfile-handling.

What's about the noise of this nb?
It is a silent notebook?
Actually i have a Sony Vaio GRV516G and the fan is always on!!!

I run a Acer Travelmate 803LmiB and I hear nothing. The only time it is noisy is, when the fan is running, but I figured out that the program cpuspeed controls the CPU in a mode that the fan never runs, except a program runs with up to 100% for more than 30 seconds or so. The programs cpufreqd and cpudynd didn't help me, unfortunately, so didn't the new kernel 2.6.1. You do not even hear something using Windows. Therefore I can recommend this nice and neat little notebook. Bluetooth works here as well and even the WLAN Centrino chipset should work with ndiswrapper, but I didn't try it out yet.

Martin