Very basic multiple-interface configuration

My laptop has both on-board wired Ethernet and 802.11a/b wireless.
Both of these work fine; I'm using them with ifplugd and it behaves
mostly as I expect.  But the thing is, I recently took the CVS version
of the madwifi Atheros 802.11 driver, and so now ifplugd actually
tries to start the wireless...

Is there a good tool for setting up the networking "properly"?  In
particular, I'd like the system to:

(1) Prefer the wired Ethernet if it's available, and not put a default
    route via ath0 [wireless] if there's already a default route via
    eth0 [wired].

(2) If the wireless finds essid "A", run 'ifup ath0=net-foo' instead
    of just 'ifup ath0'.  If it finds essid "B", use it, but don't do
    anything special bringing up the network.  In any case, don't
    switch ssids once the network is up.

	-- Abra Mitchell