Re: Debian vs. Fedora on Laptops

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:10:56 +0100, Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Choose Debian if you want freedom, modularity, APT, and attention to
> technical detail.  Choose Libranet or Ubuntu if you want all of the
> above plus easier installation and configuration, minus some freedom.
> Choose RedHat if you want to use what the majority of corporate users of
> GNU/Linux are using.

All excellent points.  What I am looking for in a distro is simple:

1. I want a Linux-based kernel and I do not mind paying for it;

2. I do not want my machine to be a sandbox for other developers.  I
do not want to update my machine only to find that something has been
changed or is now broken.  Hence, my reason for being on FC2 with an
outdated kernel for so long.  It works;;

3. I do not necessarily need the most bleeding edge software.  In wait
until it's fully baked; and,

4. I want a distro with a solid developer and user community backing it.

I am the typical M$ developer, in the process of moving to Linux.  I
need to be able to concentrate first on understanding the underlying
OS and to be able to code for it.  I would rather do this on a stable
platform so if something breaks, that I did it.

As I write this, and read what I am writing, I am quite tempted to go
and pay for Red Hat WS.  However, I just cannot bring myself to do
that so easily.  The last time I paid them money was for a retail copy
of RH9 only to find out two weeks later that they killed it off for
Fedora.

Your thoughts?

Thanx,
Ryan