Re: Debian vs. Fedora on Laptops

> 1. Woody versus Sarge.  Any idea when Sarge will be released?  Any
> major benefits over Woody?
No idea about the release...
The biggest benefit is the 2.6 kernel... which means ACPI... I could not
get ACPI with the 2.4, you have to patch etc etc

> 2. It sounds as if I am going to have to get comfy with compiling the
> kernel, regardless of which distro I'm on.  Are there any texts out
> there similar to "Compiling the Kernel for Dummies?"  My biggest fear
> is disabling something that some other piece will need - OR - enabling
> something that some other module will have a conflict with.  It would
> be great to have something that detailed each, and every, possible
> option available.  Any suggestions?

sorry... only the link you were already provided by some other reply
(http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm)... but to keep the old stuff,
you have to keep the .config from the old kernel... in my distro is
/boot/config-2.6.3-1-386

so, you have to do:
cp /boot/config-2.6.3-1-386 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.3/.config

> 3. Several people have referred to kernel 2.6, which is great, but I
> am wondering about the release.  I am currently on Fedora and using
> kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and it works well for me.  My problems began when I
> allowed yum to install kernel  2.6.9-1.6_FC2.  That's when all of my
> ACPI problems began.  How can I tell what version of the kernel
> "woody" ships with?

good question... usually I look in the website for kernel...

I know that sarge keeps on updating the kernel, day after day, but you can
always download some older version and install with apt-get.