Re: Kernel Headers question (and Winmodems)

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 14:26, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:05:27PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > >
> > > I suppose I can.  That kernel is not running on the other machine so
> > > uname -r will report the wrong location.  I guess it depends on how
> > > the Makefile finds the kernel headers it's building for.
> >
> > It should find them from the same place your compile found them when you
> > created the kernel.  IE, generally under /usr/src/linux
>
> IIRC, some module build scripts/Makefiles look at /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/build

Right... Which is a link back to the place your (current) kernel was built.
Any module you build should be able to override that.

> But, I suppose it's easy enough to look over those scripts and
> Makefiles before building.
>
> So I need th ltmodem kernel module, plus I also need a binary driver.
> Is that correct?

No, there's just the kernel module - once you compile that, you _have_ the
binary driver.

> Do I still need to use the fix script to modify the
> binary so it doesn't complain about my kernel version?

I don't recall ever having to do that..

> I think I'll lobby for it to be a law that all HOWTOs include a date.

Punishable by death?
--
derek