Re: [debian-laptops] Dlink 650 p1 on debian

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 06:21:30AM -0600, Tom wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Anyone have luck with the dlink dwl 650 rev p?

Finally someone tackling the exact same ploblem! I thought I was the
only one with that card...

> I tried wlan and I am considering orinoco.  After googling for 12 hours, I
> found a lot of information posts related to problems and few success
> stories.

I have tried, for a very long time, to get this to work with
linux-wlan-ng and ndiswrapper,  I didn't get it to work yet.  The
furthest I got was with linux-wlan-ng and an open router, and this
wasn't very reliable.  Unfortunately, I need this card to work with
an encrypted link.

My latest attempt was with ndiswrapper, and was told that it won't
work.  At the bottom is the reply I got when I asked for help on the
ndiswrapper list.  I have not been able to get the firmware, the
location probably has a problem with privoxy (that I run) or the
way my connection is set up.  I'll have to try the firmware that
comes with linux-wlan-ng (there are 3 of them and I haven't looked
at that in detail yet).  It would help to know which firmware actually
works.  The other thing is that I want to do this with a 2.4 kernel.
I'd rather not go through the massive upgrades to Debian stable that
using a 2.6 kernel entails.

Ok, now that someone else is interested in getting this to work,
we can hopefully pull it off.  Let's try this, compare notes,
details, etc... possibly off-list, and see if we can get this card
to work with a 2.4 kernel and an encrypted link.