Re: extra buttons lost after upgrade

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 10:57, Stefan Rutzinger wrote:
> hello,
>
> I have an inspiron 8200 laptop and could use the four extra keys (play
> stop rew fwd) in X11 until last apt-get upgrade (testing).
>
> In /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86 they are still aliased from I01..I04 to
> keycode 129..132.
>
> In /etc/X11/Xmodmap keycodes 129..132 are still assigned to letters (xvzb
> for the xmms player).
>
> Yet it doesn't work anymore, the letters are not even printed in an xterm.
> No message, no beep.
>
> What has changed? Keyboard? For some strange reason I already had to
> change from 104keys to 105keys to get back the <>| key.

Hi,

I am in the same situation (although on an 8000, and never having had the keys
working), and I have noted that the kernel prints out something, when I press
the buttons in the console. I am to bind the key using the command
`setkeycodes e001 <keycode>' it says. I am able to bind mmkeys to the
keycodes i choose, when I run the commands as recommended.

I suppose that the keycode is never translated at kernel-level, and thereby no
signal can be generated in X. Do anyone happen to know the file, in which
these keycodes are defined?

I hope it helps.
Anders Breindahl.