Cannot boot Dell inspiron GRUB error

hi All
i have a very annoying problem that i need urgent help with.

the background: I have a Dell inspiron 8600 with a Debian partition, Windows XP partition and the usual Dellutility FAT. I wanted to resize my partitions and used partition magic 8.1. i made sure no applications were running and that i selected the right partitions to resize. the program takes ages so i left and came after a while just to get a few error messages "could not complete operations...missing/broked inodes..". i soon realised that gmail notifier was running in the background and thought that this must have upset the whole resizing procedure (maybe). so i killed gmail notifier and ran partition magic again. though this time i couldn't select my linux partition at all. Feeling fed up, i booted into Debian as usual. I use GRUB, so it said GRUB LOADING. PLEASE WAIT.... but then ERROR 17. (=cannot detect selected partition). and then it hung. hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del gave me the boot up menu and i could run Dell diagnositics, but still got the error 17.

has anyone had the same problem? what are my options?

thanks
Wendy