anacron, VGA text mode

Hi All,

I've just installed Debian in an old laptop and I'm very happy about it :-) I have a couple of issues which are laptop related.

1. When anacron is started during boot up, it reports something like "anacron: deferred while on battery power". The battery of this laptop was removed years ago when it died and now it's always mains operated. It looks to me like the laptop (a 100 MHz Pentium Toshiba Satellite) was not designed to be operated with the battery removed, because I experience some other minor funnies no matter the OS I boot, but anyway. Looks like the hardware thinks it's running on batteries. I've been reading the man page for anacron, looking for a switch to instruct anacron to execute jobs no matter the power source but no joy. I've been suggested that this may be controlled through some "power management software, APM or ACPI". What do you think?

2. When the laptop is powered up, it starts in a nice text mode where the 80x25 character matrix would take up the whole 800x600 LCD. If you boot any OS that doesn't change the mode (like DOS or older versions of Debian I've had in the past), it stays like that. Now that I've installed latest Debian stable (3.0r2 if I remember well), Lilo appears in the nice text mode, but as soon as Linux starts to boot, it switches to a different text mode sporting this nice penguin holding a beer. Is this a kernel "feature"? This new crap mode takes only part of my screen, leaving a big border unused. Also, the penguin thing confuses applications like less and man, which fail to handle it properly when you use page up / down: They try to use the upper text lines, normally unused. (This penguin problem is not too bad. Since he / she seems to live in the first console only, I can just log in the second console. The small screen is annoying, though.)

Thanks a lot!

Alex

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.com/