cannot hibernate Dell Latitude D600

Hello,

I just got a Latitude D600 and I am running Sarge, with the 2.6.8-1 image.
Actually I installed it with 2.4.27 originally and then I apt-got 2.6.8.

I apt-got the apci and apcid packages.

My /etc/modules looks like this

ide-cd
ide-detect
usb-uhci
ehci-hcd
input
keybev
sound
i810_audio
button
fan
thermal
agppart
radeon
ide-scsi
usbmouse
usb-storage

Although kernel 2.6.8 is supposed to have swsusp (Software Suspend) compiled
in this one does not. After boot I do dmesg | grep swsusp or variations
thereof and I get nothing.

I installed the swsusp deb package from the Software Suspend website
(http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/). Now when I do 'hibernate' I get

"Your kernel does not have any recent Software Suspend 2 support compiled in.
Please follow the HOWTO linked from http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/ for
instructions on how to compile Software Suspend into your kernel.
hibernate: Aborting."

This is annoying because on the same Software Suspend website it is clearly
written that

"An implementation of Software Suspend is directly included since 2.5.18 in
the main development kernel tree. Nigel Cunningham has ported the excellent
2.4 implementation of software suspend to 2.6, and with this patch (available
from the download page), most of this HOWTO remains the same."
The patch however is for 2.6.9 and it seems that applying it implies
previously recompiling of a kernel...

Oh, one more thing. I'm using kde, so I have the little icon on the right side
of the toolbar and I can right click on it and choose from a bunch of options
among which Hibernate and Suspend. I click on Hibernate and nothing happens.
I click on suspend and it seems to be suspending some things because KDE and
the X environment goes away, it displays some messages about stopping some
services, and then makes a beep, and then KDE comes back up unchanged. The
whole thing takes about 10 seconds.

My goal is to be able to suspend to disk and this email is a last-ditch
desperate attempt to avoid having to recompile a kernel.

As a side note I've spent pretty much all day trying to get ACPI to work. I am
not in the highest spirits.

Thanks.

Alex.