Re: Replying to spam

Alex Nordstrom wrote:

At the risk of sounding grumpy and appearing to single you out (which is not my intention, well, maybe to sound grumpy)...

On Saturday, 30 Oct 2004 03:14, Alvin Smith wrote:
On Friday 29 October 2004 02:32 pm, garry waddington wrote:
please help I have formatted my cf62 laptop to put w98 se on it
wont let me boot up please help
boot w98 cd to command prompt.  run fdisk /mbr.

While I fully respect your intentions, considering the OP is unaware
- of how to write a subject line,
- that HTML messages contrary to code of conduct and common sense, and
- that his question is clearly off-topic,
it is unlikely that he knows how to subscribe to the list or read the archives. It is therefore also unlikely that he will ever see your reply.

The aforementioned assumes the OP is an actual human being (and if that's the case, where on earth do all these people get the idea that debian-laptop is a friendly bloke willing to help with any and all issues related to laptops?). The possibility of the OP merely being a bot fishing for contact details or who-knows-what cannot be ignored.

At any rate, the original post itself are clearly unwanted (unsolicited) e-mail to this list (bulk) and should be treated as spam. Any on-list response merely adds to noise, so please refrain from it. That includes attempted fun-poking as in the PE200-mau-combo thread above.

Let's keep today's spike in off-topic posts to a normally useful list a statistical anomaly. Thank you all.

That's not grumpy, this is grumpy!:
STOP REPLYING TO STOOPID WINDOZE LUSERS WHO POST TO THIS LIST, YOU'LL ONLY ENCOURAGE THEM & FILL UPTHE MAILING LIST WITH SAD ATTEMPTS AT HUMOUR AS WELL AS LETTING SPAMBOTS HARVEST YOUR EMAILS.

note the excessive use of uppercase, poor spelling & bad grammer, if I swore a bit and threw in a few personal attacks this could be a classic flame!

-Smerk