Re: [OT] USB device allocation

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 10:07:24PM +1000, debian-laptop@lists.debian.org wrote:
> Is there a way of forcing a usb device (in this case a usb flash drive)
> to always connect as /dev/sdb?
>
> I have a camera that I also connect to my laptop, which I would prefer
> to always be connected as dev/sda mainly for ease of use by family members.
> i.e. if I have my usb drive connected first, and then my partner wishes
> to connect the camera she will get very confused by the fact that when
> she clicks on the camera icon on the desktop, it will open the USB
> drive, unless I have removed the drive, in which case error messages
> will pop up and she'll have kittens (a bit computer-phobic my partner).

Best solution I've found so far: updfstab-2.6

http://ccomb.free.fr/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=UsbMassStorageEnglish

It requiers 2.6 kernel, udev and hotplug.  It will automatically create
a mountpoint under /media (if you dare touch the script, you can change
it it's not too hard) and add the appropriate entry to /etc/fstab.

You can point your icons, automounters or whatnot to the stable
mountpoint under /media.

The same author has another script, this one for devfs and 2.4,
available at http://ccomb.free.fr/usbstorage/updfstab-2.4.  Obviously,
not maintained anymore, but hey, 2.6 has been here for a while, it's
nice and stable.  Time to take the leap!

Cheers

--
Ivan Fernández
ivan.fernandez@yale.edu