Re: suspend, power save or saving, hibernate mode in Indpiron 5160

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:26:59 -0300, Derek Broughton
<derek@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 October 2004 12:07, H. S. wrote:
> >
> > 3) This website gives some different options
> > http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/Software-suspend-2.html#ss2.1 :
> > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=y
> > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_CORE=y
> > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_WRITER=y
> > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=y
> > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=y
> > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_TEXT_MODE=y
> >
> > What is this all about?
>
> I think those are from the SWSUSP patch - which you may very well need.
>
> > 4) Whis is better, apm or acpi?
>
> ACPI does a lot more than APM ... when it works.  However, it probably makes
> no difference to you - APM isn't functional on my Inspiron, and probably not
> on your more recent one.  I've not got CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND to work, and
> haven't recently tried the swsusp patch.
>
> > 5) Does the closing the lid and making the laptop go to
> > suspend/hibernate work?
>
> Only if you configure it.  There's nothing there to do it automatically.
> acpid is absolutely necessary.  If you're using KDE, klaptopdaemon might
> help.
> --
> derek

I have two laptops.  One will not do ACPI at all.  That would be a
Inspiron 4100.  But on APM it works quite well.  I had to do
absolutely nothing on the 4100 to make it suspend by closing the lid,
awaken by opening the lid, etc.  Networking, USB, sound all come back
even with a Linuxant wireless driver in place.  However, the IBM
Thinkpad T23 will not do APM at all so I had to learn ACPI.  The main
things I figured out is that even with the 2.6.8.1 kernel, suspend
would not work right with the T23.  I had to download the latest acpi
patches from acpi.sf.net and patch the kernel.  When I closed the lid
on the T23, nothing happened until I wrote a script which will send
the laptop off to a suspend state with a lid close event.  Now, when I
close the lid on the laptop which likes ACPI it gracefully nods off.
When I open the lid it awakens and sound, USB, networking all work.

I think ACPI takes more work reading, learning, writing a few little
scripts and also patching the default kernels to get better suspend
support.  There are also different types of suspend like to RAM and
DISK.  For me, the 2.6.8.1 kernel was a bit tricky.

If the Inspiron does not do ACPI, APM for me just works.  If it does
do ACPI, you may need to read on the patches suggested by derek above.
 I don't know of a way to find out unless you just try.

--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com