Re: suspend, power save or saving, hibernate mode in Indpiron 5160

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 12:07, H. S. wrote:

> 3) This website gives some different options
> http://softwaresuspend.berlios.de/Software-suspend-2.html#ss2.1 :
> CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2=y
> CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_CORE=y
> CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND2_WRITER=y
> CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_SWAPWRITER=y
> CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_LZF_COMPRESSION=y
> CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_TEXT_MODE=y
>
> What is this all about?

I think those are from the SWSUSP patch - which you may very well need.

> 4) Whis is better, apm or acpi?

ACPI does a lot more than APM ... when it works.  However, it probably makes
no difference to you - APM isn't functional on my Inspiron, and probably not
on your more recent one.  I've not got CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND to work, and
haven't recently tried the swsusp patch.

> 5) Does the closing the lid and making the laptop go to
> suspend/hibernate work?

Only if you configure it.  There's nothing there to do it automatically.
acpid is absolutely necessary.  If you're using KDE, klaptopdaemon might
help.
--
derek