ReiserFS module

Hello everyone. I just recompiled a kernel with exactly the same options as
the one I had before, except that instead of including the ReiserFS option in
the kernel, I am now loading it as a module. I had not done this before
because Reiser is my root, however I found out I did not need to include it,
as I am using an Initrd. What surprised me is that the kernel image INCREASED
in size by about 80k. One would think that modularizing something would
decrease the kernel size... Any ideas why this increase might have happened?
Also, what are the other benefits of modularizing the kernel as opposed to
including everything in it?

Thanks in advance!

FC