Re: Synaptics touchpad not found with plugged-in USB mouse

Am Montag, 11. Oktober 2004 11:35 schrieb Juraj Ziegler:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 10:40:40AM +0200, Tobias Kraus wrote:
> > Hi ML,
> > my synaptics touchpad works ok as long as I my USB mouse is not
> > plugged in when psmouse loads. In this case, the kernel reports
> > that the touchpad is found and everything works fine.
> > If I plug in the USB mouse during boot before psmouse is
> > initialized, psmouse does not recognize the touchpad. When I plug
> > it in afterwards, both touchpad and mouse works fine.
> > It is not a BIOS problem (touchpad is deactivated as another
> > pointer device is found), as the problem exists if I plug the
> > mouse in just after the kernel is started by grub, but before
> > psmouse is loaded.
>
> Unless you made a typo, it IS a BIOS problem
>
> <qoute>
> touchpad is DEactivated as another pointer device is found
> </qoute>
> (emphasis mine)

unfortunately this is _not_ a typo :-(
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I _think_ the touchpad is is deactivated
if at a certain point of the POST the mouse is found by the BIOS.
After that the BIOS does not change the state of the tp any more.
Actually, the problem exists if I plug the mouse in _after_ the kernel
is loaded by grub and decompressed.

> This caught me once as well. The BIOS turned my USB mouse into a
> PS/2 mouose, when it was found during the system boot. In turn, the
> real PS/2 mouse got ignored.

my mouse _is_ recognised as USB-mouse.

> j.

Tobias