Re: remote backup

Hi,

* Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> [041004 10:09]:
> On 2 Oct 2004, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > I would like my desktop (an openbrick) to backup via the net
> > my laptop once it is connected:
> > what is the best way to do so ?
>
> My recommendation would be the 'BackupPC' package, found in testing and
> unstable.  That will happily produce long term archival backups of the
> laptop, and can dump to tape, etc, for off-line storage as well.

Thanks for pointing out this package. I've just installed it and it
seems quite nice.

I have a question about this package, and was unable to find the answer
(or even the question) in the documentation, FAQs or on google.

I suffer from a small /var partition... (if only there was SPAM with a
pill for that), and BackupPC wants to put all the backups in
/var/lib/backuppc/pc. It seems there is no way to tell BackupPC to use a
different location. The simple "fix" was to just symlink this directory
to somewhere else. This seems to work ok, except that BackupPC continues
to look in /var to determine how much space it has available.

Does anyone have a proper solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Nick.

--
Debian 3.1
Linux twofish 2.6.8-looxt93c4 i686 GNU/Linux