Re: Touchpad functionality dissappeared for no apparent reason!

>>> Dell ACPI is buggy - and you seem to have two errors in yours.  Make
>>> sure you have Dell's latest BIOS for your machine.

>> You know what I'm going to ask now don't you, and I've got a horrible
>> feeling that you're going to tell me that you can't upgrade your BIOS
>> without booting into a Windows/DOS install.

> LOL.  First thing is to check the version you have (it's just about the
> first message that shows when you boot) and check Dell's site to find what
> is the most recent.  If yours is, there's nothing to do anyway, but iirc
> they actually will send you a self-executing version that creates and
> installs a boot-floppy.  It may be DOS, but I don't think you need
> windows.  It's been a long time since they had an update for mine, and
> booting into Windows to do it was easy enough, anyway.

My BIOS is definitely old.  I have a dmesg line that says;
"ACPI not enabled - BIOS too old.  ACPI=force to overide."
I'll check out Dell's site as soon as I get a moment. A bootable floppy
disk through the post sounds like something I can just about deal with.

[...]

Thanks for clarifying the following:

S0 - Normal activity
S1 - Sleep
S2 - ???
S3 - Suspend-to-RAM - Generally not supported.
S4 - Suspend-To-Disk - a.k.a 'Suspend' - Flaky

> 'cat /proc/acpi/sleep' to see which states are supported by the ACPI BIOS.
[...]
> Sleep is definitely supported.  Suspend is still problematic on many
> machines, not just Dell, and you might want to try swsusp.

Will do.

>> Ok, but what does the bogo bit [in bogomips] stand for? (And don't look it
>> up. Anyone can do that! :-)

> Well, if I can't look it up, I can't tell you :-)

You could've acted all clever there but you didn't  :-)

>> CC me by all means but a follow-up will usually suffice.

> Did I do that?  Purely accidental.  I try to always respond just on the
> list (especially with people who are rude enough to say "CC me because
> I'm not subscribed" - I figure if you want answers, you should
> participate - besides which, trying to help you got me the answer to why
> _my_ mouse didn't work right)

You didn't CC me.  I just have that as a signature thingy.  I recently
discovered gmane and am implementing a review of my mailinglist/newsgroup
participation management strategy :-/

sebyte

--
CC me by all means but a follow-up will suffice.