Re: Touchpad functionality dissappeared for no apparent reason!

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:10:07 +0200, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On September 27, 2004 05:06 pm, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
>> You're starting to worry me!  I am using 2.6.7 which was installed by
>> sarge-i386-netinst-daily-build.iso (04/08/04).  I wish it were
>> otherwise but I haven't knowingly changed any of those settings :-/

> Unfortunately, I haven't a clue how to change them either.  None of them
> are things I would normally bother with - it just points to there being
> more of a change than just adding or removing udev.

Noted.

>> On the whole it's working well.  A few things are bugging me, like the
>> fan only coming on with a reboot, and sleep/suspend functionality
>> entirely lacking. (This may simply be because I haven't figured out how
>> to get them working yet, beyond passing acpi=force as a kernel
>> boot-parameter to enable acpi).

> Dell ACPI is buggy - and you seem to have two errors in yours.  Make
> sure you have Dell's latest BIOS for your machine.

You know what I'm going to ask now don't you, and I've got a horrible
feeling that you're going to tell me that you can't upgrade your BIOS
without booting into a Windows/DOS install.  I've taken the MacOSX route
into Linux and am somewhat perversely proud of the fact that I know
virtually nothing at all about Windows/DOS.  The first thing I did when I
got this laptop was remove all traces of ... the organisation whose name
we will not mention, and as a result I only have Debian installed and no
spare partition.  (I'm debating whether to 're-brand' the key that comes
between Alt and Fn. Let me see now, a cigarette should do it!).

> Most of my ACPI problems went away with "relaxed AML" checking, but that
> used to be a kernel config option, right after "Toshiba Laptop Extras",
> and I don't see it any more (in 2.6.7).  I suspect that means it's now
> automatic.  I still haven't got suspend functionality (S4), but I do
> have sleep (S1).

Ah.  So we have two out of four/five?

    S0 ?
    S1 Sleep (Suspend-To-Ram?)
    S2 ?
    S3 ?
    S4 Suspend (Suspend-To-Disk?)

and the article I read re: Sleep not supported must have been out-of-date
or something...

> The fans work right.  One thing to note is that very often the fans
> don't come on just because they really shouldn't.  If you run the same
> machine w/ Windows, you get used to them being on a lot, then when you
> run in Linux you start to worry.  I've seen many posts here, to that
> effect, and it always turns out that the fans don't really need to be on
> because the CPU temperature hasn't reached the trip point.

Fair enough, I have come to expect GNU/Linux to out-perform Windows in
virtually every way, but my fan behaviour can't be right.  It doesn't come
on until a reboot, and then it doesn't go off, which suggests its
temperature is being checked once only at boot-time (I suspect by the
BIOS) and doen't come on until a reboot because it has had sufficient time
to cool after a halt, i.e., over night.

>> P.S What are bogomips by the way?

> LOL.  It's just a rating of how fast your machine is operating
> (mips=million instructions / second).  Mine seems to be consistent, but
> a difference of 4 bogomips on any modern PC is inconsequential.
>
> derek

Ok, but what does the bogo bit stand for? (And don't look it up.  Anyone
can do that! :-)

sebyte

--
CC me by all means but a follow-up will usually suffice.