Re: Touchpad functionality dissappeared for no apparent reason!

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 20:05, Derek Broughton wrote:

> On September 27, 2004 03:24 pm, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
>
> > Attached is a relatively short diff of my last touchpad-successful boot
> > compared with the following unsuccessful one.  As can be seen from the
> > diff, it was being recognised as a "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on
> > isa0060/serio1".  Since then it hasn't been recognised once!
>
> diff -u please...

OK.  Hmmm, I wonder if there's an emacs variable for that ...

> You still don't seem to have a floppy...

I do now, just not in that diff...

> and you've done a lot more than
> add/remove udev.  You're using different options for the network interface,
> you've changed real-time clock drivers and DMA options on your HDs (none of
> which are likely fatal, but it looks like you're using a different kernel).
> The good news is you gained 4.09 Bogomips :-)

You're starting to worry me!  I am using 2.6.7 which was installed by
sarge-i386-netinst-daily-build.iso (04/08/04).  I wish it were otherwise but
I haven't knowingly changed any of those settings :-/

On the whole it's working well.  A few things are bugging me, like the fan only
coming on with a reboot, and sleep/suspend functionality entirely lacking.
(This may simply be because I haven't figured out how to get them working yet,
beyond passing acpi=force as a kernel boot-parameter to enable acpi).

Have you got these working on your Inspiron?

> > If you think my suspicions may be correct and I need to recreate the device
> > file somehow, how would I do that and what would I call it?
>
> I don't think, but "mknod" can be used to create some of these if you have
> to..

Ta.

sebyte

P.S What are bogomips by the way?