Re: General question on wireless

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:35:51 -0700, Chris Kacoroski
<kacoroski@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that I have it working on the 5100, I have a question about what I
> am seeing in wavemon.  With a dell 1150 and drivers native to debian, I
> get a link quality of about 25/92, signal is about 30% of the bar and
> red, and I get both noise and a signal to noise ratio.
>
> I also have a dell 1300 that I am using with the ndiswrapper and the
> latest xp drivers from dell.  With this card the link quality is 100%,
> signal level is -75db (red bar, about the same as the 1150), but there
> is no noise bar.or signal to noise ratio bar.
>
> Which card is getting better reception?  Which one should I keep?  the
> 1300 is supposedly a faster card (although it connected at the same
> 11Mbits/sec -- I suppose this is all the base station in the library
> will support).  The 1300 does support scanning which the 1150 does not.
>
> Is there a website that can help me get up to speed on wireless on linux
> and what are good numbers from a card/access point combination.  I have
> numbers, I just really do not know what they mean.
>
> thanks very much.
>
> ski
>
> --

I've seen the same thing here.  Just a bit of background in my case.
I have a WRT54G flashed with a later bios.  With a Orinoco Classic
Gold card that does 11b, I would normally see at the highest around a
link quality of about 40%.  I then went for linuxant and switched to
using the wpc54g cards which I had purchased for my XP laptop.
Instantly the quality of the link went way up and I could see the
difference in downloads, web browsing, etc.  Wavemon tells me I am now
running at about 94% and it never varies from that.

I also got numerous disconnects or periods of time when the Orinoco
gold cards would somehow lose the AP I have.  Often it would occur for
minutes at  a time either on debian or XP Pro.  With the change in the
drivers to the linuxant drivers, this simply does not happen.

I can also set the WRT54G to operate at G only now and set the card to
have the highest and most optimum performance threshold in its
configuraiton.

I have not really found a downside to the card yet except for a bit of
manual nature sometimes bringing up the interface if I reboot the
laptop.  Luckily the reasons for rebooting the laptop are pretty slim
since it suspends very well most times.

Perhaps someone else can add a website or two they use.  I use a few
forums like dslreports.com and practicallynetworked.org for general
support.  There is also linksysinfo.org on the linksys stuff.
--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com