Re: accessing other partition

On September 22, 2004 11:14 am, Andrew Porter wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 13:35, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > You don't need the module _loaded_.  mount will do that.
>
> I think this is dependant on which distribution and also whether you are
> using the autoloader or not.

Well, the distribution, by definition, is Debian.  This _is_ debian-laptop.  I
guess you're right about the autoloader. Do people really not use it?

> > > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt
> >
> > mkdir /mnt/win
> > mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/win
> >
> > You don't really want to mount anything directly on /mnt, do you?
>
> Not sure that theres any need to get pedantic - however for the sake of

Not sure there's any need to get snooty.  Sheesh.

> an example who cares ?  And to answer your question - yes I do mount
> stuff off /mnt - why wouldn't I ?  Its an empty directory by default.

It's not been an empty directory on any system I've installed.  Right now it
has /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/cdrw and /mnt/floppy (I'll admit to having renamed the
CDs to something that made more sense to me).  My Fedora core install
has /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom1 (auto discovered at install time).  You could
use /mnt directly, but it makes sense to use a subdirectory.
--
derek