Re: Dell Inspiron 8600

Le 12679ième jour après Epoch,
wlv21@cam.ac.uk écrivait:

> Hi
> i'm a newcomer to debian for Dell laptops, and would greatly
> appreciate any help.

Welcome on Debian/Dell

Look at http://tuxmobil.org/dell.html

> 1. installing/detecting the combo DVD/CD-writer drive. It does play
> CD's successfully but nothing else. And what is the best way for
> watching DVD's and writing CD's in debian?

What about log messages? Watch DVD using, for example, mplayer. For
recording, cdrecord is a good command-line tool.

Try to see if you've installed ide or scsi-emulation.

> 2. i have a problem with recording. I want to use GnomeMeeting for
> example, but can't get the microphone to work. I am able to listen to
> CD's and mp3's...don't exactly know how to fix this.

What about "rec" ? And try to see mixer settings for recording source.

> 3. how can i check whether my wireless and usb ports are working?

apt-get install wireless-tools

usb: Look at the log when you plug some usb device. Check your kernel
parms for USB support.