ThinkPad T23, latest bios, apm and acpi

Greetings all-

I've spent a bit of time on my thinkpad T23 trying to get power
management to work.  The thinkpad has the latest bios rev from IBM's
website and just for kicks I installed mepis and saw that ACPI seemed
to work flawlessly while APM produced lots of lost interrupt handlers
even with some corrective additions to APM found on google.

This evening I installed 2.6.8.1 on debian unstable and found that I
am able to get acpi working with suspend to ram, disk, etc and I found
a neato little tool called acpitool which manages all of the switches,
knobs, and dials of acpi or at least a subset that makes things
better.

Now the big questions remain.  How does one get a suspend event with
acpi to be triggered when I close the laptop lid?  I know about the
/etc/acpi scripts but on my dell inspiron 4100 (with apm of course) it
works like a treat.  I can simply shut the lid and apm powers off the
system, takes care of networking, etc.  I don't run gnome or kde here
so I have been using the acpitool to do things on the laptop and I've
played a bit with suspend to ram.  Is there a X based graphical
application that can manage laptop stuff much like Klaptop does?  I
don't want/need the whole KDE thing.

Many thanks for reading this!
--
Michael Perry