Re: new laptop recommendations?

I have an acer 1300, but the newer versions should work about the same, it have good battery and after a while I got X to accept my graphics card and after that everything works like a charm, thou I can't use the modem but still. Besides the flickering screen at a start (that is now fixed) I am very satisfied with the machine and especially it's battery.

Regards

John M Flinchbaugh wrote:

i must buy a new notebook to replace my declining inspiron 3800.
as it is unplanned, i must be a bit budget-minded, but i still
need some power features.  i don't need a desktop replacement,
but i also don't need ultra-portable.

inspiron 5150's, hp pavilions, and ibm thinkpad r41's look sort
of attractive at first glance, but i keep finding horror stories
on tuxmobil.com.

i'd like to actually be able to use all the integrated hardware,
like bluetooth, 802.11, ethernet, acpi, maybe even the modem.
i'm leary of having to screw with ndiswrapper to support the
wireless nic.  battery-life is also a consideration.

can anyone recommend an excellent notebook on which to run linux
which is still available new?

i'm deathly afraid of buying a new machine to find out i can't
use half the stuff with linux or have to jump through hoops and
proprietary/screwy drivers to do anything.

i know my 3800 is finally well supported, but i'm obviously looking
for an upgrade, and not just another old machine.  send me your
success stories and horror stories.

thanks you so much in advance.