Re: SMART Self-Test Reports UNC Errors on Dell Latitude D800 Hitachi Travelstar DK23FB

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Michael G. Morey wrote:

> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       80%
> 4089         8371832
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%
> 4088         -
> # 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%
> 0         -
>
> My manager suggested that I reformat the partitions (we use ReiserFS),
> to mark the bad blocks.  Is this a viable option?  Can the drive be
> salvaged, or should it be replaced?

Over_write_ the whole drive. If the bad blocks are gone, then the drive
has successfully remapped them. Consider replacing the drive anyway if
you value your data.
If they don't go away then there are so many of them that the remapping
capacity of the drive is exhausted.  Usually, when this happens, the
number of bad blocks will increase steadily. Replace the drive.

Walter