Re: writing on NTFS

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 05:25:25PM +0200, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a problem with my NTFS partition. Currently I have in my
> /etc/fstab the following:

> <options>                                                       <dump>
> <pass>
> /dev/hda1       /ntfs           ntfs
> rw,exec,nodev,nosuid,users,gid=glushkov,umask=002               0       0
> /dev/hda7       /data           ntfs
> rw,exec,nodev,nosuid,users,gid=glushkov,umask=002               0       0
>
> Looking at my kernel configuration one finds:
>
> cat .config | grep -i ntfs
> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
> # CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

If this is 2.4 kernel then you will probably ruin your ntfs partition
with the write support. With 2.6 you can only write into existing files
without changing their size and you can't create new files.

Don't know if it takes extra steps to enable that though.

There is some other project that enables full write using the windows
drivers, don't remember the name, but the other post mentioned it.