Re: 3d acceleration for radeon mobility 7500

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 17:43 +0200, Tim wrote:
> hi everybody,
>
> i recently bought an IBM thinkpad R51. i got wlan, GBit-ethernet and
> everything else i need  to work under debian sarge/testing with a 2.6.6
> kernel, except for the 3d acceleration of the ati radeon mobility 7500
> card.
>
> there are no mobility drivers on the ati page, the ati guys only tell you
> to go get the drivers from your notebook manufacturer (who of course
> doesn't offer them for linux) and that
>  "Support for a specific driver feature (such as hardware acceleration of
> OpenGL) may be incorporated into a particular display driver (or not) at
> the discretion of the notebook manufacturer". [1]
> furthermore, no ati radeon 7500 standard driver is available on the page.

Hi,

There have been reports of success with the fglrx drivers with 7500, I
believe.  These are downloadable from the ATI website as an RPM package,
which you can convert to a .deb with alien.

I have tried the fglrx drivers myself (R50p, with Radeon 9700) and they
work OK, except for suspend/resume.  Someone on this list recently said
they worked for them including suspend/resume, and that may have been
with the 7500.

To find these on the ATI site you have to choose "FireGL" rather than
"Mobility".

Also, are you sure that is 7500?  R51 is fairly recent, and I would have
expected "9500" or such.  What does lspci show?  Unfortunately the
current drivers for radeon in Sid/Sarge do not support 3d for many
recent ATI cards, and efforts to add that seem to be some way from
completion.

Cheers,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
        Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
                             -- Mark Twain