Re: Airport problem

James Tappin wrote:
I have an iBook with an airport card which is configured to dual-boot
Debian Sarge or OSX Panther, that I would like to be able to use on both
the wireless network at work and at home. Neither network broadcasts its
ID and both use 128-bit WEP keys. I can connect to either net with
MacOS, but only the work network works with Debian. The only obvious
difference between the network configurations is that the work system
uses a router that is the DHCP server while the home access point (an
el-cheapo ME102) has a single IP address and the DHCP server is the PC
to which it's wire connection is made (which also handles the NAT).

This is a NetGear or something? My friend has a Linksys AP that I was trying to use the other evening at his apartment from my PowerBook Pismo - for whatever reason I couldn't get it to talk to the base station until I put the card into "restricted" mode (/sbin/iwconfig eth1 enc restricted). Then it just worked perfectly. You might give that a try. Also, what version of the Orinoco drivers are you using? I'm using the 0.15rc1 drivers (which include access-point scanning). If you have this, compare the output of 'iwconfig' by itself to what 'iwlist eth1 scanning' says about the network.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net