Re: Network Profiles

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 01:08 +0300, Eddy Petrisor wrote:
> use whereami
>
> Is great!!
>
> You can even make configurations in your home according to the new location
>
> And the config is self explanatory (good thing as there is no man page
> afair)

While I appreciate your endorsement, I must say that there _are_ man
pages:

man whereami
man whereami.conf
man detect.conf

:-)

> Karl wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Does anyone know how to configure different network profiles with Debian?
> > Are there any tools how to do this?
> >
> > I need to configure eth0 (WLan) and eth1 (normal) to accomplish:
> >
> > Profile at home: eth0: don't start up or at least don't use DHCP
> >           eth1: start with DHCP
> >
> > Profile at work: eth0: start up with DHCP and use iwconfig (IPW2100)
> > to configure WLan using a special encryption key and open
> > authentification (to make it work, I had to run iwconfig myself...)
> >          eth1: do nothing (alternatively start with DHCP)

HTH if you have problems configuring this sort of setup with whereami.

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
              How many things I can do without! -- Socrates