Re: laptop_mode doesn't seem to work: kjournald waking up disks frequently

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Bartek Kania wrote:

> > I'm trying to use laptop_mode to get my disks to stay down to save
> > energy in kernel 2.6.7. I used the script from kernel 2.6.7, put it in
> > sbin. I also compiled the monitor in laptop_mode.txt too. When I run
> > laptop_mode it doesn't seem to help much with the disks. What's the
> > problem?
> <snipp>
> > Using the bit block that reports to dmesg I get kjournald as the process
> > that's dirtying the node.
>
> What filesystems are you using?
> Please attach the output from mount before and after running the laptop-mode
> script.
> When the script runs it should change the commit-time of the filesystem to
> something large, to prevent kjournald to flush the journal every couple of
> seconds.

A while ago, I looked at the code in one of the filesystems (either ext3
or jfs - the two fs's I use), and I wasn't convinced that the code
correctly saved the -o remount,commitinterval value. I convinced myself it
only got set at mount time, not at remount time - but I am very likely
wrong, given that I am not a kernel hacker, and probably missed some
subtlety.

I have never had any luck with the laptop mode patches. Dammit.

A sysadmins description of life:
    Even if the underpowered inter-continental links could take it,
you'd see a routing nightmare.   BGP packets would be flying around
in circles panicking, and any sane network administrator would lock
him or herself in a small room and whimper until it was all over.