Re: using acpi

hello Bernhard

(this is my first post through gmane.org so i hope it will
be successfull and i don't know anything about the result :-)

Is there someone to share his experience using acpi with kernel 2.6.(6)
and higher?

on my notebook (sony-vaio pcg-grx-316mp,
http://www.impressionet.ch/vaio-linux/) i'm using acpi since
the 2.4-series-kernels (using acpi-patches) and now also
with 2.6.6/2.6.7. acpi is nearly required on that device because
otherwise irq-routing etc. won't work well and firewire for instance
won't work...

not all sleep/suspend-states are supported, some of them do crash
_really_ hard. i suggest you for testing which states are supported
to have a look at

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/
especially http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/sleep.html
and also http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/index.html for
processor-states and battery etc.

you can then easily test if a state works fine using the proc-in-
terface:

cat /proc/acpi/sleep # should output supported states
echo $state /proc/acpi/sleep # should put the computer in specifed
state.

once you've worked out, which of them work, you can use various
tools to interfere with the system. i use "klaptopdaemon" which
provides a taskbar-applet for kde in which you can do various
acpi-adjustments like changing state or define what's happening
when closing the lid.

hope this helps,

kind regards,

Pascal Mainini