Re: ALSA / DMIX

Hey there,

El Sáb 10 Jul 2004 04:08, B. Douglas Hilton escribió:
> First, why use xmms when Alsaplayer is so cool? Its really good IMHO.
> Alsa is great, especially if you are a musician or work with midi or
> such. Nothing beats it.
I tried, the sound works like a charm...but I'll keep using xmms (some
special features).

> For mplayer, hmm... mine works and is self compiled, make sure you
> have your kernel source compiled and supposedly it will detect alsa
> headers and such. Even if if has to use oss fallback that should
> still work ok.
Mine is working with alsa, my .mplayer/config(I have sarges alsa-headers
installed):
ao=alsa:default

> It took me some tinkering around to get alsa working on my system but
> it is definately superior to anything else around. If it even works
> at all then thats a real good sign.
I'm not saying that alsa doesn't works well. I think that alsa ROCKS!!!,
but DMix support is not working as expected. For example: Depending on
the sound card your /etc/asound.conf YMMV.

> Tip: try killing esd if its running, there's some bug with it that it
> grabs /dev/dsp and locks it so it really screws up alsa apps.
I'm using Arts, no esd arround. Arts works nice through dmixed alsa, but
some apps won't work well, JUK.

> Tip2: compile your kernel with static sound, (no modules), debian
> alsa will grumble a bit about no modules found but it all should
> work. A static kernel sometimes isn't a bad idea for a laptop since
> your hardware is known and immutable. I usually build all static
> support for laptop internal devices and modules for pluggable things
> like USB, serial, parallel, etc.
I now discover is loading the alsa modules, but I'll try it out.

Guess what, I found out what was the problem with xmms, it only happens
with mp3 files, so I installed the mad plugin and it is working like a
charm.

Thanx for your time.

--

Atentamente,