Re: ALSA / DMIX

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 04:37:26PM -0700, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> Has anybody had a good experience getting the Dmix plugin working well
> with ALSA?
>
> I'm trying to get my laptop (Thinkpad X31 using the snd_intel8x0 ALSA
> module) to be able to play more than one wave channel at once, but I'm
> not having much success.
>
> Any helpful direction (howtos, good/bad experiences, alternate
> methods) would be appreciated.

I use the same module and this is my ~/.asoundrc (same as the howtos on
alsa-project.org[1]):
-----8<---------
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer  {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 321456
  ipc_key_add_uid true
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,0"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 4096
    rate 48000
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

ctl.dmixer {
  type hw
  card 0
}
-----8<---------

for mplayer I simply use this ~/.mplayer/config:
-----8<---------
vo=xv
ao=alsa1x:default
#stop_xscreensaver=1
cat: ~./mplayer/config: No such file or directory
-----8<---------

while xmms is already configured to use alsa default pcm

the pcm.dsp0 allows using dmix also through oss emulation so mpg123 is
happy too. Note: I have no sound server installed and dmix is working
great :)

[1]:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html