Re: synaptics touchpad problem with sarge running a 2.6.6 kernel

Mattia Dongili wrote:

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 09:40:09AM +0200, jyb wrote:
hi,

I'm running sarge on my new laptop MaxData 8100X pro.

kernel doesn't reconize my synaptics touchpad.

any idea ?
[...]
i8042.c: Detected active multiplexing controller, rev 10.12.
serio: i8042 AUX0 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 AUX1 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 AUX2 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 AUX3 port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

you mean the kernel recognized it correctly before?
no. It's the first time I use it.

If so and if problems started at kernels around 2.6.3 it's probably your
bios intervening. Try to disable Legacy USB support in your bios.
Another test you can do to fully confirm my thesis is to boot without
your usb mouse plugged in.
It's fine :

First, I removed only the usb mouse and booted up the laptop : the synaptics touchpad was correctly configured by the kernel.

Second, I disabled USB legacy in the bios, switched on the usb mouse and booted up : the touchpad AND the mouse were correctly configured.

Thanks.

But with X, I must choose beetween the mouse and the touchpad. They can't live together. I install the X modules from http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html and follow instructions.

Here is my original XFree86Config-4 :

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "CorePointer"
       Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
       Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier    "Synaptics Mouse"
 Driver        "synaptics"
 Option        "Device"          "/dev/psaux"
 Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"
 Option        "LeftEdge"        "1700"
 Option        "RightEdge"       "5300"
 Option        "TopEdge"         "1700"
 Option        "BottomEdge"      "4200"
 Option        "FingerLow"       "25"
 Option        "FingerHigh"      "30"
 Option        "MaxTapTime"      "180"
 Option        "MaxTapMove"      "220"
 Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
 Option        "MinSpeed"        "0.06"
 Option        "MaxSpeed"        "0.12"
 Option        "AccelFactor"     "0.0010"
 Option        "SHMConfig"       "on"
#  Option       "Repeater"          "/dev/ps2mouse"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier      "Default Layout"
       Screen          "Default Screen"
       InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
       InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"      "AlwaysCore"
       InputDevice     "Synaptics Mouse"       "CorePointer"
EndSection

With this config file, I've got an error. Extract from /var/log/XFree86.0.log :

(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "AlwaysCore"
(**) Configured Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 5
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.3
(--) Synaptics Mouse auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event1
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
(**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
(**) Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
(**) Option "RightEdge" "5300"
(**) Option "TopEdge" "1700"
(**) Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
(**) Option "FingerLow" "25"
(**) Option "FingerHigh" "30"
(**) Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
(**) Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
(**) Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
(--) Synaptics Mouse synaptics touchpad found
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Synaptics Mouse: Core Pointer
(EE) Attempt to register more than one core pointer (Synaptics Mouse)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Synaptics Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
Synaptics DeviceInit called
SynapticsCtrl called.
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

And the touchpad doesn't work, while the USB mouse works well.

If I comment the configured mouse in the ServerLayout of the XF86Config-4, touchpad works well :

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier      "Default Layout"
       Screen          "Default Screen"
       InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
#        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"      "AlwaysCore"
       InputDevice     "Synaptics Mouse"       "CorePointer"
EndSection

Is it possible to have mouse and touchpad working together ?

J-Yves