Re: Debain 3.0r2 on Toshiba 3440ct

--- Frank Trenkamp <FrankTrenkamp@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hello Mumtaz,
>
> On Sunday 06 June 2004 21:15, Mumtaz Ahmed wrote:
> > I am trying to figure out how to install Debain
> 3.0r2
> > on Toshiba 3440ct laptop which has a USB bootable
> > floppy. It is a pity that it does not have a
> bootable
> > CD drive.
>
> There is a port replicator extension available which
> houses an optical
> drive.

frank, thanks for your reply. i do not have the port
replicator extension (it is a used machine). hence
there is no bootable CD drive. though i have a PCMCIA
CD drive, which is not bootable. [also see below for
my reply re floppy.]

> The Portege knows how to boot from this
> replicator. For full access
> under linux you may have to patch your kernel,
> though: e.g. newer 2.4.x
> kernels may not recognize the Toshiba Piccolo IDE
> controller in the
> replicator, unless you edit

/usr/src/[linux-kernel-sources]/include/linux/pci_ids.h

> and change the default line
>
> #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_TOSHIBA_PICCOLO   0x0102

> #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_TOSHIBA_PICCOLO   0x0105
>
> according to what 'lspci' or similar show for the
> replicator's built-in IDE
> controller. Recompile, install kernel, reboot,
> voila.
>

> > I tried booting with compact.bin and root.bin, but
> > nothing happens (i.e. a blank screen appears). A
> quick
> > search on google and on this list's archive was
> not
> > much of a help.
>
> Have you set the USB floppy to "Legacy Emulation" in
> the BIOS? You can
> enter the BIOS by pressing ESC immediately after
> powering on, then press
> F1.

yes, the legacy emulation is on. in fact, it boots
mandrake 10's boot disk (which is capable of accessing
the PCMCIA CD drive). currently i am using mandrake,
and am not happy with it.