How do I tell if it's my hdd or my fan that's making noise? (noplugd not spinning down?)

If I had to guess the noise is from the hdd because the amount of airflow being generated doesn't seem to match the noise.

It doesn't seem like noplug is doing anything even though i don't have devfs enabled and I even have syslog shutdown right now (those are causes mentioned in the docs for not spinning down).

Is there anyway to know if my hardware is spun down for sure?

I'm using a compaq presario 700 with unstable.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com