Re: Problems with ACPI - Compaq Presario 700, 2.4.25

Hi there.

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Claus Aranha wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have recently acquired a Compaq Presario 700, and tried to install
> the Sarge Beta netinstall CD. Everything seems to have worked ok,
> except that the ACPI module does not seem to be working.
>
> The ACPI seems to kick in and suddenly dies while the kernel is
> solving kernel-related problems, so I googled a little and found

I've got the same laptop. Actually I'm surprised it's still on the market.
Did you get it second hand?

I've never tried with precompiled-acpi kernels, but I can tell you that
2.4 kernels with ACPI patch work quite well. However, as far as I
understand it, ACPI patches are not easy to find any more, since source
forge doesn't have them any more. You can find them in some special branch
of kernel.org. I've got the patch for 2.4.21 if you want. Anyway, with
kernel 2.6 you shouldn't need any acpi patch any more. The acpi support is
not great. I've never tried acpi-suspend. Swsusp2 works ok, but messes up
with modules. For the rest, you can catch acpi events (poweroff, suspend
etc). You get some battery support and if you use sarge, you can even
monitor your battery via the power-applet from gnome. The best way for
this laptop is to compile your own kernel. You can download lots of config
files and patches. Have a look at the linux laptop website. There are
quite a few presario700 reports there.
	Good luck
		Alessandro