Dell Latitude PP01L: ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW and AC'97 Modem

I've just installed sid on a Dell Latitude PP01L. I have a few questions:

* 3d Acceleration.  As far as I can tell, Radeon Mobility 7500 is
  supposed to be supported in X 4.3 including 3d accel and xvideo. I
  can't get 3d accel to work. I have radeon loaded as a module, using the
  2.6.6 kernel.  I'm using the "radeon" X driver, with the option
  "UseFBDev".  I've also tried "agpmode" "2" and "4".  Regardless, I see
  the following in XFree86.0.log

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

  Also, lsmod reports that radeon module is unused.

  I've also tried using xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk modules DEB from
  dri.freedesktop.org.  Same result.

  Any ideas how to get 3d accel to work on this card?

* More video card trouble: the rendering is a little "blurry" at
  1024x768.  Particularly xterm at default font is very poor quality.
  I have fontconfig configured with subpixel rendering enabled.  I don't
  really know how to track down this problem.  This is a setup
  transported from another laptop (with a Mach64 card) where there was
  no such problem.

* WinModem support: lspci reports PCTel Inc Dell Inspiron 2100 internal
  modem.  Apparently the pctel driver (0.9.7) is supposed to support
  this modem, but it doesn't build under 2.6.x.  I've googled some and I
  haven't gotten a definitive answer on whether there is any way to get
  this modem to work under 2.6.x.

* Does anyone know if this machine is known by a different name?
  linux-laptop.net doesn't list the model, although other sites claim
  various Latitude models are actually PP01L.  The specs are Pentium 4M
  2Gz, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500],
  3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado], Intel Corp.  82801CA/CAM
  AC'97 Modem Controller.  Came with 256M RAM and 20G HD, I've upgraded
  to 384M and 80G.  I would love to find someone with this exact system
  who has already dealt with configuration issues.
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org