RE: Any debian 2.6.x kernel ACPI success stories?

On May 11, 2004 05:21 am, Steinar Bang wrote:

> > However, I don't know about you, but with a stock acpid I can't
> > actually use the power button to wake my system with acpid running -
> > it immediately goes into shutdown mode.
>
> It looks like I'm able to wake it from S3 suspend with a short press
> on the powerbutton.  I think the reason I'm not seeing anything, is
> that the display doesn't come back on.

That sounds right.  I'm afraid I can't help with what you would need to do
though.  All other reports I've seen have been trouble with X and as long as

you do this in a console it seems to work.

> When it's running, one press on the powerbutton takes it into a
> shutdown.  A fairly tidy one.  I preserves the KDE session.

That's the (relatively) new use of dcop in the powerbtn.sh script.

> A long (more than 4 second) press on the powerbutton, always switches
> the machine off.  I've been told that that's standard BIOS behaviour,
> and it certainly beats unplugging the battery pack.

It is.  It seems to vary slightly from machine to machine, but it's always
in
the 4-5 second range.

> > I thought it had something to do with the values in
> > /sys/power/state,
>
> That's pmdisk, which at least one person on the acpi mailing list,
> wants to die, die, die, as I've understood.

OK.

> > but I know that "echo 1 >/proc/acpi/sleep" works on my Dell.
> > Haven't got anything else working, yet.
>
> I haven't tried that one recently.  How much power do you save?
> I sort of thought only s3 and s4 where worthwhile?

I have no idea.  Since my Inspiron only supports S1 and S4 (no S3) and I
haven't got S4 to work, S1's the only example I have.